Seemed a bit light

I’ve decided to dedicate my Saturday noon for a bit of strength session at CrossFit London UK and I’ve decided to use Wendler’s 5-3-1 programming as it fits nicely with the program and timing of the Saturday class.

The session looked like this:
Upper body
Press (5-5-5+ increasing weight)
Pull-ups between all sets

Assistance movements
50x diamond grip push-ups
50x Meadow’s row (per arm)

Lower Body
Squat (5-5-5+ increasing weight)

Assistance movements
50x Med ball sit-up/throws (partner assisted)
25x Razor curls from kneeling (partner assisted)

Pretty straightforward right? I sorted out all my prescribed weight for all movements (press, squat, bench press and deadlift) based on my 1RM. I managed to go through the press sessions well enough doing 32.5kgs, 37.5kgs then 42.5 kgs (for 8 reps). But then somehow things got confusing for the squat. I knew I had to do 93.5kgs on my last set for a minimum of 5 reps and I was a bit anxious on that as my 1RM is only 110kgs.

For some reason, when I loaded 45.5kgs on the first and 52.5kgs on the second set it did not occur to me that the numbers didn’t add up. They felt a bit light! I realized then that I was looking at my bench press numbers and wasted the 2 sets. I just decided to put 90kgs on the bar and see where that went. I managed to do 6 reps. I am now considering redoing the entire phase for squats or moving on to the next round (3×3 but heavier). I don’t want to complicate things more (I can’t even read my own programming correctly!) but I don’t want to waste my time either, so we’ll see on the next couple of weeks.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s